Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pennies from Heaven

I am still the worst navigator in the world (my daughter says I am fired....no more passenger for me....I get to drive...she gets to navigate). A 40 min. trip to Philly from Atlantic City took 2 hours!!!! I had us going north up the coast instead of west into PA. At least it was pretty....the leaves are starting to turn colors and it was a nice day.We were going for lunch at Geno's...they truly do have a terrific cheesesteak. And who can go to Philadelphia and not see the Liberty Bell? Well, that led to a carriage ride through the historic district. The only problem with that was that my grandaughter was more interested in talking to the horse....so I missed some of what the guide was saying. So I am not quite sure why....but there's a custom there to toss a penny on Ben Franklin's grave. (and did they build the U. S. Mint directly across the street from his grave on purpose?) I can't see how he would approve of that....wasting pennies like that.....but I was game. In fact it turned out to be another one of those "Divine providence" moments. At the souviner shop, I was handed 4 bright shiny brand new pennies. I stared at those pennies for a second....I think the clerk must have thought I was from another country trying to figure out what coins I was holding. I found myself fighting those involuntary tears that spring up every now and again. The ones that betray my resolve to shelve certain memories. Anyway....now on Ben Franklin's grave sits 4 bright shiny brand new pennies....one tossed by Nicholas.....one tossed by Keegan....and I am not sure if you were supposed to make a wish or anything when you tossed them....but there was a wish made from me....and one for the one who the pennies were meant for.

Next time though.....we have to make sure there's not an Eagle's home game!!!!

No comments: