Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Best Defense is a Good Offense

When push comes to shove, I think I need to learn to push back. Nice guys may finish last but at least they are still in the race. But by being a doormat, even the "nice guys" walk all over me. I guess I thought that the nicer I was, the more I would gain. You know...the whole "treat others as you would like to be treated" thing. Lately, however, my whole perspective on life has been greatly challanged.
I really have only one regret in life. All the other "mistakes" I can say I am grateful for since I have gained at least a small measure of wisdom from them. But the wisdom means nothing if it lies dormant....overruled by the heart. And that is the crux of my problem. I've always let my heart lead me where it wants to go-even when it wandered down some pretty dark alleys. And l have been mugged a few times there.
The first time...the second time.....even the third time....I meekly handed over my dignity and pride hoping I wouldn't get hurt in the process. Well now the knife is once again aimed at my heart and I have to choose......fight or flight? Normally I would just hand over whatever was demanded of me. But I suddenly feel defiant. I have traveled so far, lost so much already. What right do you have to rob me of what I deserve to keep?....of what I have worked so hard to build? You like to think you can always win because you are bigger and stronger (at least physically) but never underestimate the underdog. I have power that you don't understand....strength that surpasses yours.

You're lucky that no one trusts ME with knives.

No comments: